Bright, white teeth are the foundation of a beautiful smile. If your grin is discolored, this can affect both the way people view you and the way you see yourself. Knowing what causes dental discoloration can help prevent it, so read on to learn about the causes of yellow teeth in San Marcos as well as what your cosmetic dentist can do to help.
Common Causes of Yellowing Teeth
There are a variety of things that can cause a person’s smile to lose its luster and become yellow. Bruxism occurs when you rub your teeth together or grind your jaw, whether you’re aware it’s happening or not. It often occurs when someone is sleeping or stressed and can lead to enamel wear which allows the yellow dentin to show through. Fluorosis happens when one’s teeth are exposed to an excessive amount of fluoride and can leave brown or yellow spots on the teeth.
How to Prevent Yellow Teeth
Though yellow teeth can ruin the look of your smile, there are fortunately several ways to keep this from occurring in the first place, including:
- Visiting your dentist for checkups and cleanings every six months
- Drinking dark or highly pigmented beverages through a straw
- Cutting back on your sugar consumption
- Avoiding the use of tobacco products
- Consuming alcohol in moderation
- Brushing twice per day
- Flossing every night
How to Remove Stains from Yellow Teeth
If your teeth happen to become stained or yellow, there are several ways that your dentist can either address or cover up the discoloration, including:
- Professional whitening – At-home teeth whitening treatments allow you to lift stains from your smile over a few weeks. In-office whitening with results in a single visit is also an option.
- Porcelain veneers – These thin porcelain shells cover the entire front surface of one’s teeth. This allows them to cover up a range of cosmetic issues, including discoloration.
- Dental bonding – This treatment corrects the same issues as porcelain veneers, but it’s much more budget-friendly. Even so, bonding is also much less durable than veneers.
- Dental crowns – If the affected tooth or teeth are severely damaged or decayed, dental crowns may be the right option. They cover up the entire visible surface of a tooth, meaning they improve both its function and aesthetics.
Though yellow teeth may develop naturally as you get older, that doesn’t mean you have to settle for a smile you don’t love. Contact your dentist to learn more about the options they have available to correct yellow teeth in San Marcos. Before you know it, you’ll be sporting a healthy, beautiful smile you’re proud to share!
About the Author
Dr. Nelson Howard earned his dental doctorate from UCLA, and he went on to be the first dentist in North San Diego County to become an accredited member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). With more than three decades of experience, Dr. Howard has completed thousands of hours of continuing education to stay current with techniques and technology. If you are interested in solutions for yellow teeth, Dr. Howard offers at-home teeth whitening, veneers, dental bonding, or dental crowns. Schedule a consultation on his website or call (760) 599-6559.